Pages

Wednesday 2 August 2017

Different Types of Acids on Marin Coral

Experiment 

Aim:

I am going to investigate what different types of acids will do to Marin Coral.
....................................................................................................
Equipment:
Salt 
Water
different types of acids 
Coral or shells
3 test tubes 
............................................................................................................
first things first I started by getting all the equipment we needed to test our investigation.


Once I finished setting everything up, I went ahead on trying to mimic Sea Water with Table Salt and Water.

after that I put 5m of the salt water in two of the test tubes, and then I  started off with putting The strongest Sort of acid called Nitric Acid in one of the test tubes. 
I carefully placed it in the test tube (that had salt water in it) then placed 2 pieces of coral. It started bubbling & then the water turned a white colour.
I left it for about 5 minutes while I was working on the other acids. 
At that time I noticed it went back to a clear colour.

I did the same with a different type of acid. This acid was called Hydrochloric acid. 

It did exactly the same thing as the Nitric acid did.

and then I had a thought of what would coral do if it didn't have seawater and just Acid.


So I then put 2 pieces of coral in to test tube, then I placed 5m of Nitric acid in the test tube. (I thought it would be best to use the strongest sort of acid) It didn't change colour like the other two witch have salt water in so then I thought maybe it had to do with the salt water as that was the only thing I took away.
............................................................................................................Before pictures:



This was the Coral before I started on my experiment.  







This was it after I smashed it to tiny pieces.

The reason I did this was so it could fit in the test tubes, and because I would have to use a lot of acid to get a after. 





This was all the equipment I needed to test my theory. 

Here we have Coral, Beakers, Test tubes, Rack, Different types of acids, Salt & water.   




This wasn't apart of my experiment but I thought it would be cool to show you what the coral looks like up close.
Here you can see the little tiny holes. Those little spots were  how they reproduced to make bigger Coral. 

This was The white colour in turned in 5 minutes of leaving it. 
It then changed back to the original colour.

A clear colour, the same colour as water.








............................................................................................................
I left it over the weekend 

1 comment:

  1. i like that i can see the equipment you are using.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.